Monte Vista Elementary is located in the city of South Jordan, a growing community in the southwest part of the Salt Lake Valley. The school was built in 1977 and has undergone several interior remodels since. The faculty of Monte Vista Elementary is committed to excellence and works collaboratively to create a safe, nurturing learning environment where every student can receive a well-rounded education and develop their unique talents and abilities through a variety of learning experiences. A strong, positive school climate is established where teachers and parents work in partnership to ensure students gain academic competence, develop social skills, and become responsible citizens.
- General Information and School Highlights
- Monte Vista Elementary serves approximately 825 students in grades K-6.
- A nutritious hot lunch is prepared and served daily. Free and reduced price lunches are available to qualifying students.
- Bus service is provided for students who live 1½ miles or more from the school.
- Monte Vista Elementary is made up of a dedicated faculty with a wide range of backgrounds, talents, and experience. All faculty members are certified teachers, and many have advanced degrees and educational endorsements beyond the required teaching certificate. They provide a welcoming environment and strong academic program for our students.
- All teachers, administrators, and members of the school support staff are evaluated yearly, for the purpose of maintaining high quality instruction in every classroom. Teachers continually participate in professional development opportunities to improve instructional skills.
- The established school curriculum meets or exceeds all State and District standards.
- Monte Vista Elementary is a Professional Learning Community where teachers collaborate in teams and plan together to ensure that instruction in each grade level is aligned with the State and District Core Curriculum Guidelines, and students are provided with a maximum of learning opportunities.
- Technology is an important part of the curriculum at Monte Vista Elementary. An up-to-date computer lab and additional mobile computer labs enable students to learn and practice a variety of skills. Students are provided experience with keyboarding and word processing, opportunities for individual and project-based activities in technology, and supportive software in language arts, math, and science.
- Monte Vista Elementary is a Leader in Me school. All students are leaders and learn about the 7 Habits of Happy Kids. Students participate in student-led conferences and keep individual leadership notebooks to track academic performance. This program assists in building leadership and positive character traits.
- Monte Vista Elementary has a Chinese Dual Immersion program in grades 1-6. Students who participate in this program spend half of the day in an English classroom and the other half in a Chinese classroom, where grade-level content instruction occurs in the second language.
- An active PTA and School Community Council assist with activities and regularly give input on important school issues.
- Visitors and volunteers are welcome at Monte Vista Elementary. Volunteers support the educational process through their work within the school and play an important role in student learning.